Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

What's Going On?

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 2 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 745 at 07:47 AM on 11-17-2020.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking ahead to next year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking ahead to next year

So I guess the Devils season is officially over, so let me start looking at the prospects for next year. IMO this offseason is entirely the Parise saga. If the Devs are unable to strike a long term deal do they bite the bullet and make a trade? The positive sign from this year is the 4 everyday regulars they found in Tedenby and Josefson (top 6 forwards) and Palmieri and Fayne. They have Adam Henrique in the minors to come up and fill a spot next year and they will have a top 10 draft pick that they can use on a winger or d-man.

100% backElias
    Kovalchuk
    Tedenby
    Josefson
    Zubrus
    Clarkson
    Pelley
    Palmieri
    Steckel
    Volchenkov
    Tallinder
    White
    Brodeur
    Fayne

Most likely back (RFA)Zharkov
    Taormina
    Corrente
    Fraser

Most likely goneMair
    Greene
    Hedberg
    Salmela (RFA)

Trade bait?Roslton
    Pelley
    Salvadore

The Huge ?Parise

Draft targetsSean Couturier-C
    Ryan Strome-C
    Jonathan Huberdeau-C
    Brand Saad- LW
    Tyler Biggs-RW
    Joel Armia-RW
    Rest In Peace John P. Cloninger

Rolston's what, 38? How much could you get for him? I'd focus on developing a second line. You figure if Parise (or replacement)/Kovalchuk got shut down you'd have another option. The offense could be quite potent in that scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubber Crosby View Post
      Rolston's what, 38? How much could you get for him? I'd focus on developing a second line. You figure if Parise (or replacement)/Kovalchuk got shut down you'd have another option. The offense could be quite potent in that scenario.
      You would get nothing for him. Only way to get something back for a guy like him is a deadline deal.

Larry Brooks has already started the speculation of Parise being traded. He said the Devils defense is slow and they need a puck moving d-man, and Parise could be used to get him. Who that is, he didn't say.
      “I would have had to take a pay cut to take the job I was offered,” Francesa said. “If I had done it, I think I would have done well in the NFL, but at the time I decided to stay here.”

Comment

Originally posted by JayBee View Post
        You would get nothing for him. Only way to get something back for a guy like him is a deadline deal.

Larry Brooks has already started the speculation of Parise being traded. He said the Devils defense is slow and they need a puck moving d-man, and Parise could be used to get him. Who that is, he didn't say.
        True story, apparently the Canes were interested in Rolston when he was placed on waivers but they decided not to claim him. So the next time the Devils played them he scored and when he skated by the bench he said "you guys could have had me for half the price"

If Parise is moved I would hope it would be to somone like the Kings who could give up Bernier and maybe another prospect. The Devils have Merril in the system and there are 2 puck moving defenseman around where they will pick in the draft (Ryan Murphy and Dougie Hamilton). IMO theres no need to just dump him for someone who can move the puck.

And they do need other options to score for sure, Id like to think those options are Tedenby and Josefson who will have some NHL experience under their belt going into next year.

Comment

I'd hate to see Parise go. The kid plays his ass off and seems like he could be a consistent 80-90 point guy, including at least 30 goals. This team needs scoring depth; even when they turned the season around, scoring goals was still a big problem many nights. Too many 1-0, 2-0, 2-1 type games. Every night is like a playoff game.
          You cannot be open for business next year under the management of the Three Stooges anymore...it's ovah!

Comment

I do not want to see Parise go. He's by far my favorite player, probably in any sport. Like Matt said he plays his ass off every shift and is a 30 goal scorer. But I don't think he will go anywhere else. Lou knows it's very important to get a deal done with him or he'll really piss off the fanbase. This isn't Gomez to the Rangers or Giontar to the Habs. Fans will not put up with Parise signing elsewhere.
            JPC | JiG

"My job everyday is to understand what the audience is interested in. You want to connect every day, and that's something I understand very well. I know this town and what its pulse is; and this town has a sports pulse every day." - MF

Comment

No way the Devils let Parise walk. They'll do whatever they have to do to re-sign him. Parise is the franchise and you just can't let him sign elsewhere.
              "Da Mets aw like a dunkey in a hawse race."-

"Mike and the callers trying to figure out stubhub and the ramifications was like a bunch of Squirrels trying to run a power plant." -ACQ

Comment

Originally posted by matt8204 View Post
                I'd hate to see Parise go. The kid plays his ass off and seems like he could be a consistent 80-90 point guy, including at least 30 goals. This team needs scoring depth; even when they turned the season around, scoring goals was still a big problem many nights. Too many 1-0, 2-0, 2-1 type games. Every night is like a playoff game.
                MATTY!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by RKO36 View Post
                I do not want to see Parise go. He's by far my favorite player, probably in any sport. Like Matt said he plays his ass off every shift and is a 30 goal scorer. But I don't think he will go anywhere else. Lou knows it's very important to get a deal done with him or he'll really piss off the fanbase. This isn't Gomez to the Rangers or Giontar to the Habs. Fans will not put up with Parise signing elsewhere.
                You guys are more optimistic than me. The Kovalchuk signing had Vanderbeek written all over it and now with him looking to sell a portion of the team and the fact they are only about 3 mill under the cap I'm not sure if they can get a deal done. I also believe they NEED Parise, but for a team that has been notoriously frugal its really hard to believe they'd add another big contract to go along with Kovies. Now hes a RFA so he could be back next year without a long gterm deal but if he tells Lou he wants at least 10 years and around 100 mill is it that unlikely that the team would pursue a trade? I hope you guys are the right ones

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Bensons Ad Agency View Post
                  You guys are more optimistic than me. The Kovalchuk signing had Vanderbeek written all over it and now with him looking to sell a portion of the team and the fact they are only about 3 mill under the cap I'm not sure if they can get a deal done. I also believe they NEED Parise, but for a team that has been notoriously frugal its really hard to believe they'd add another big contract to go along with Kovies. Now hes a RFA so he could be back next year without a long gterm deal but if he tells Lou he wants at least 10 years and around 100 mill is it that unlikely that the team would pursue a trade? I hope you guys are the right ones
                  I can see where you're coming from, and you'd be more knowledgeable about the cap situation than me. I thought that they were close to the cap, and that would make a long term deal difficult - if at all possible. Trying to take my Rangers hat off and view it as just a hockey fan - the potential of seeing Kovalchuk and Parise together for a season (with Zajac at center I presume) would be potentially electrifying.

Comment

Speaking of Kovalchuk, I notice that once things got real tight, he's fallen off again. As great a talent he is, I don't think he's a pressure player. Last five games, 1 point and a -3.
                    “I would have had to take a pay cut to take the job I was offered,” Francesa said. “If I had done it, I think I would have done well in the NFL, but at the time I decided to stay here.”

Comment

Originally posted by JayBee View Post
                      Speaking of Kovalchuk, I notice that once things got real tight, he's fallen off again. As great a talent he is, I don't think he's a pressure player. Last five games, 1 point and a -3.
                      That might be true but without him scoring 6 or 7 game winners the Devils are still 20 something points out. And you could see him running out of gas from a mile away, Lemaire has been double shifting him on power plays and whenever they have been trailing down the stretch. His wheels really fell off that Bruins game when he missed the empty net. They need another scorer, which is why Id love to see Parise stay, cause down the stretch their second best option has been Rolston

Comment

The regular NHL thread doesn't work so I'll just post this here.

BBAA said in the Breakfast Club he likes SJ this year. I'll have to disagree. I would never trust the Sharks in a big spot ever. Not once. They never do anything in the playoffs and always choke. They'll probably get knocked out in the first round again.
                        JPC | JiG

"My job everyday is to understand what the audience is interested in. You want to connect every day, and that's something I understand very well. I know this town and what its pulse is; and this town has a sports pulse every day." - MF

Comment

Originally posted by RKO36 View Post
                          The regular NHL thread doesn't work so I'll just post this here.

BBAA said in the Breakfast Club he likes SJ this year. I'll have to disagree. I would never trust the Sharks in a big spot ever. Not once. They never do anything in the playoffs and always choke. They'll probably get knocked out in the first round again.
                          Be fair the Sharks made the WC Finals last year before they decided to choke

I dont trust any of the teams in the west, I think the Kings and Coyotes have as good a chance as the Canucks and Sharks do.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Bensons Ad Agency View Post
                            Be fair the Sharks made the WC Finals last year before they decided to choke

I dont trust any of the teams in the west, I think the Kings and Coyotes have as good a chance as the Canucks and Sharks do.
                            I was texting my buddy in St. Louis about the Red Wings last night. He said he would not be shocked if any of the top teams in the West get knocked off early.

I wonder if it's advantageous to be teams like Vancouver, who have everything sewn up for weeks and playing meaningless hockey, or teams like the Rangers or Hurricanes who are playing for everything this time of year? I guess it depends on the makeup of the team.

One team who is falling apart at the seams, and I'm not upset about it, is Philly.

Comment

This offseason I think these are the biggest questions in regards to the Devils:

1. Locking up Parise- Seems like LL is really pushing for the 1 year deal through arbitration and hoping that the new CBA next year will push free agency back. Parise has already voiced his displeasure at being offered arbitration. They have to make a decision if they are really going to lock him up or just use him for the time being

2. Get a coach who will last more than half a season- We've seen the names. Hitchock..Therien...Muller...Ramsey..Mactavish. Just settle on one and give him the ability to have a full training camp with the team.

3. Have a successful draft- The Devils top 3 offensive prospects (Tedenby, Josefson, Henrique) are all at or close to the NHL level. Beyond that they have no offensive prospects worth noting...Jon Merril and Brandon Burlon are their top prospects and they are both defenseman who are a ways away. They need to hit on pick #4 and grab a playmaker.

4. Find an heir apparent to Broduer- Even Marty has said it was nice having Moose Hedberg but they need a future in the net. The 2 kids they drafted last year are still raw and still a few years away from knowing what they really are. Do they finally give Frazee the chance? Do they go out and sign a younger guy? They have to do something

5. Resign Andy Greene or find a puck moving defensman- They might not spend on greene or a replacement so that means Corrente and/or Taormina will be in the lineup opening night

Comment

Working...
                              X